Sherman Joseph Alexie Jr. (born on October 7,1966) is a writer, poet, filmmaker, and occasional comedian. Most of his writing describes his life as a Native American. Unfortunately, he was born with hydrocephalus, which caused his to suffer from seizures throughout his childhood. Later in his life, Alexie decided to leave his reservation to attend Reardan High School, which helped him get a better education and start his writing career.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Stress


A personal issue that I have encountered for most of my life is school stress. Ever since elementary, my mom pushed me to do my best in school to get the highest numbers, which were all fours back then. She told me to be responsible at all times to get my homework and class work done. Because of this, there were rarely any times when I did not do my homework. Perhaps I did not do my homework only about 4 times in my elementary school years. When I began 7th grade, my sister explained to me that EVERYTHING counts for my grade so I have to do great in everything if I want to get an A in the class. Not only that but since my sister was able to get straight A’s in 7th and 8th grade, my mom expected me to get straight A’s as well. Middle school years were somewhat difficult at first; however, after a while, everything began to feel a little easier as time advanced.
I am now an 11th grader and I have noticed how difficult the years get each year of high school, yet I got straight A’s for my 9th and 10th grade years because of my mom pushing me. Now that I am an 11th grade, everything has become a lot more difficult for me. My whole life in school, I have struggled to get the grades that I want, which means that I have EXTRA stress to handle from most of the people in the school. I have noticed that many people only care of passing their classes and making grades to be eligible to play sports, which makes me kind of sad and disappointed. I am glad that my mom has pushed me all these years to get to where I am, have straight A’s and do my best in school; however, it seems like a B is an F in her eyes and that I am not trying my hardest so I get grounded until I get my grades up. She does not understand that my sister and I are COMPLETELY different and have a different mentality for things so it makes me angry to have to hear when she compares me to her all the time. It also seems like she does not understand that as each new school year gets harder and harder. It seems like she is saying “if you have gotten straight A’s for the past year, there is no way that you can’t get it this year.“ Of course I understand that my mom wants me to do my best in school to succeed and be someone in life; however, I do not think that she should get angry at me to the point of grounding me for getting a few B’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment