Sherman Joseph Alexie Jr. (born on October 7,1966) is a writer, poet, filmmaker, and occasional comedian. Most of his writing describes his life as a Native American. Unfortunately, he was born with hydrocephalus, which caused his to suffer from seizures throughout his childhood. Later in his life, Alexie decided to leave his reservation to attend Reardan High School, which helped him get a better education and start his writing career.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Cross Country Life

Cross Country has become a huge part of my life now and it’s a funny story of how I joined the team. In 9th grade I joined the football team as a wide receiver; however, I was never that great and did not get much playing time. I stayed with the team until the season ended and I was going to join the team the following year because I really wanted to become a lot better. At the time, I thought Cross Country was a joke because I found it pointless to join a team in which you just run in. However, once it was 10th grade, I decided to take a history of art college class in which students met after school on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:10 to 4:30. In football, if you came late to practice, you would lose a lot of practice and would not have playing time for the 1st half of the game. Since many of my friends were in Cross Country and I was probably not going to do football that year, I decided to join the team in order to gain endurance and speed for football on the following year.

I joined Cross Country for a week and I felt like it was too much for me since I did not have much endurance, so I quit for about 2 weeks. For some reason, when the team had their first race, I kind of wanted to join the team again and so I did. At first, it was very difficult for me to even run 3 miles non-stop or complete the workout without walking at least once. When I was on the team, I was eager to become Varsity and did not even think it was possible for me since everyone was so much better than me. My first 3.1 miles race I ran in 21 minutes with 10 seconds, which is a very slow time; however, I trained through the season and ended up running an 18:52 at the end of the season to become one of the top 10 runners of the team. At the end of the season, my coach decided to give me a Varsity Letter. After the season was over, I decided to run Track and run during the summer to become a better runner for the upcoming year for Cross Country. This year, I suffered through many injuries that impeded me to run my best; however, I became our 4th best runner of the team with my fastest time of 17:23. Now that the season is over, I plan to train over the winter, run Track, and train over the summer for my last year of Cross Country to win League, CIF, and qualify for State.

No comments:

Post a Comment